25-08-2010: While the ASCII Grid format is very useful for small downloads, it may fail for large raster datasets may fail. The ASCII grids format can create very large files. If you are downloading one of the 25m DEM grids for example, the whole layer may generate an ASCII file in the order of 20 Gb. We recommend you use the GeoTiff option in such cases. We will be looking at options for limiting ASCII Grid downloads to a maximum file size and/or alternative file formats.
Planned improvements as of June 2011
- Add additional data content.
- Improved support for raster data.
- Replace references to papers in metadata with full citations and where possible links to actual on-line copies of the papers.
- Populate Dublin Core Relations field with information on associated data layers or other documentation.
- Allow Layers to link to multiple top level categories.
If you have ideas about how the portal might be improved, please let us know using the Contact Us link.